Thursday, March 14, 2013

Me,myself and I?

I just found some things out about myself. I am a fighter, a helper, a good friend who goes above and beyond, and very stubborn person. These all sound like great things right? Well they can be and they can also be a problem. WHAT? How so? Let me explain....

I recently had a pair of eye glasses that broke a while back. I tried everything to keep these old glasses together. They were super glued a hundred times over and even had a nail placed to keep them together. My  eyesight is not that terrible I can still see and drive fine but I love my glasses. They are a part of me. I love to try to fix things and find other uses for items that should just be tossed. I blame my mother, she loves to save things and say "I can always make something else out of it." Bless her lovely heart but it has made me in to a saver of all things trash. lol It turns out I maintain this philosophy in all aspects of my life, with friends, relationships and even work. Now the issue with this is I spend and even waist(see last blog on time) time trying to fix old and broken things even when they are beyond repair. I spend too much trying to maintain and help people who refuse to be helped or want change. I give so much of myself and don't even realize it.

Back to my glasses, I finally get my eyes checked and I am thinking my eyes have gotten worse. I have been finding it hard to focus with my old glued glasses, having lots of migraines and hurting eyes. I'm thinking its because with age my eyes are getting worse. So to my amazement the doctor tells me that its not my eyes that have gotten worse BUT that my glasses were the wrong perception!!! Say what??? Ya that was my response. I was given a stronger prescription then I needed. It was not my eyes that were getting worse. It was not me who was bad or off. The connection here is that while I'm trying to help items or people I get the strange idea that its my fault why I can't help. But just like I was told it was not MY fault at all with the glasses but an actual problem with the glasses its self, that's how it is in real life. The people who I try to help and "rescue" cant be helped not because there is an issue with me, not because I'm not smart enough, not because I don't "understand" but because the problem is with them. They don't want the help or just are not ready to receive the help. I have given all of myself for friends and others and been left hurt wondering what could I have done differently? Whats wrong with me that I couldn't help? Did I not try hard enough? Why did I fail? By me refusing to not give up and be that super understanding loving person who sees the good in them, I have just hurt myself more. All we can do in these circumstances is bring it to God and let him handle it. I can not be the problem solver, I need to know when to let God do the fighting instead of me. Its not me Failing...

The Lesson learned here is that no matter how hard we try, how hard we try to pull or help someone if they are not ready to receive the help it does no good. We are selves get hurt and overwhelmed and even dragged down with them and their problems instead of us helping them. I think it is all about timing. In Gods time things are done right. We can not be "Time Lords", we got to leave that to the Doctor (for my doctor who fans).

I now know my LIMITS. Do you know yours?

I am a rescuer. I am helper.

Take a moment and answer this: I am a.....

1 comment:

  1. I am a fixer. I am a listener. I am a helper.


    I am also very happy to read this. I can definitely relate to it in some areas of my life.

    ReplyDelete